Monday, September 28, 2009

Fall Flavors and Tasty Tuesday announcement!


There's something about dropping temperatures that draws me to get that kettle on the stove with savory soups a simmering.
I love the way they make my house smell cozy all day long.
When the weather turns brisk, soups are definitely one of my comfort foods.

Trying to decide on some of my favorite soups is an arduous task.
Chicken noodle/dumpling, taco, chili, baked potato, cream of broccoli and cheese and so many others top the list.
My mouth is watering just thinking about taking that hot french bread straight from the oven and dipping it into any of those favorites.

Another of our frugal favorites is Bean Soup and for the last few days, beans have been a staple.
Officially, five pounds of dried beans have been soaked, cooked, eaten and/or bagged and frozen for future use. Having them cooked and bagged allows me the ease of throwing them in whatever - whether it's a casserole, soup or side.
I have my seven bean soup recipe down to a science...dolloped with sour cream and sprinkled with cheese, this is a recipe that all my children devour.
But don't ask me for measurements.
I don't ever measure with soups. The fun is in the experimental process. :)

So what fall foods are you looking forward to? I can't wait to see them over the next few months here at Tasty Tuesday.
As always, please link to your direct URL recipe post and link back here so others can join in the fun.

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!
I am in the process of moving my blog to Word Press. It will have the same great feel, just more versatility with an easier search option for these wonderful recipes. :)
This is the last Tuesday where you can find me at inpassionatepursuit.blogspot.com.
For next week, please make sure your URL link back to Tasty Tuesday reflects http://www.beautyandbedlam.com

So what are you sharing for Tasty Tuesday Parade of Foods?

23 comments:

Kara said...

Oh, I love soups too! Wish our weather would cool down enough that I could get after making them! Congrats on the blog move...looking forward to seeing the new location!

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Hey! Congrats on moving to WordPress. Are you using Thesis. I have been on WP from the beginning and have been using Thesis for about a month. I have a website design and internet marketing company in addition to my blog and we always recommend WP and Thesis. Great move!

Christi

threesidesofcrazy said...

I love the fall time of year! Soups, stews and chili YUM!

kristi_temple said...

I love soups! My husband . . . not so much. But since he only knows how to make boxed mac and cheese and scrambled eggs, he has learned to tolerate soups. He says it has to be cold out to eat soup but I can eat it anytime of the year. We had lentils and rice for dinner. I can't wait for things to really cool down so I can start making soup again.

Thanks for sending my Homemade Gourmet stuff. I really appreciate it.

Paula@SweetPea said...

Soups are a staple for us in the fall and winter. I'm in the mood to make some after reading your post.

Anonymous said...

How do you cook and freeze beans ahead of time? I have 10lbs. of dried beans right now and everytime i need them I look at them and say "ugh" because I have not cooked any. I hope you have time to answer. I myself am a homeschool mom of 8, so I know how precious that time is! :) Thank you for a wonderful blog. Miss your frugal fashionista posts. Have found some of my own great deals lately. :) Thanks again Carrie
Carriejheard@yahoo.com

Smelling Coffee said...

Making soups are like issuing in the fall season! I love them all. Maybe one day you'd host a "soup" collection?

Have a great day...see you on the dot com.

Jennifer

Christi said...

We love bean soup as well. I use fresh garlic & oregano, salt & pepper in the soup, then serve it with salsa verde & cheese. Sooo good!

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Your stomach was thinking what mine was thinking ... :) We had bean soup and cornbread just last night! Can't wait to find you on your new blog address.

Amy said...

I am in the process of moving to WordPress, too. I can't wait to see your new site.

Jenn @ Beautiful Calling said...

I was excited to see this since October is the start of a drastic grocery budget cut for us. I wanted to start using beans in more meals and am not sure how to begin. Do you have your bean soup recipe posted anywhere?

And if you have time, how to you freeze and bag them for future use?

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

My family loves bean soup. I think they believe it's hard to make and that I slave over it all day. :-) Please send some crisp, cool weather to me.

~Kim

John and Lisa said...

MMmmmm... we have a soup supper coming up and I was trying to decide which soups to make. Now I think a bean soup is definitely on the list! Thanks for the inspiration.

Sherry B. said...

Love soups, love your blog. Soups are a great way to play "Survivor" in the pantry. I keep stock on hand just for the weeks when I just can't go on another grocery store run. As you'll see with my post...it isn't always homemade...but it is always made with love!

Amy Green (Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free) said...

We love soups in the fall - I don't measure either, until I actually write the recipe. Last night I made a fabulous garlic chicken brown rice soup. I store leftovers in ball jars and they stay fresh so much longer.

Congrats on the new domain name. :)

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

oh, too bad, I cant seem to see blogs on wordpress.
Favorite foods? uhm, they are all from the Mother land and not easily translated...they are all sorts of bake goods, with ripe plantains, etc.

Kristin said...

I shared a potato soup recipe this week, lol. Is there anything special you do to freeze the beans? I've never frozen just beans before, they've always been in leftovers when I put them in the freezer. Congrats and have fun switching to wp!

Hoosier Homemade said...

I'm so sorry Jen, I always comment after linking up and I don't think I did. The soup sounds yuumy! We had Taco Soup and Broccoli Cheese last night, with homemade bread.
Thanks for hosting!
~Liz

Wendy said...

Love soup! My husband wants me to take a Fall Soup class at Whole Foods.

Unknown said...

Oh I love bean soup too. We put a ham bone in the pot, leftover from several dinners.

I forgot to link up. You changed to WordPress? How was that?

Cheryl B. said...

I stopped by your blog to verify that you were still hosting your Tuesday "theme day".

In case you aren't sure why I would do that, please first go here: http://thehousethatlovebuilt.xanga.com/712911712/today--/

and then read this one:
http://thehousethatlovebuilt.xanga.com/712911311/sept-theme-days/

I see that you are still doing it, so I shall leave it on the lists :-D Please send me your new web address via pink bunnies (at) sbc global (dot) net.

THANKS!!!
Cheryl B.

Abbie said...

I haven't yet gotten into soups for fall, but I LOVE squash! Butternut and spaghetti being two of our favorite.

TidyMom said...

Thanks! I'm wanting to try some new soup recipes this year!!

~TidyMom