Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Choice of Hope

Hands by Dawn from My Home Sweet Home Online


Terrified and torn, a young woman girl, seventeen, sacrificed so that her firstborn
could have life.

For nine months, perfect innocence was knit together in her womb.

Yet on a blistery Milwaukee March day, she made a choice.

A choice of sacrifice. A choice of redemption. A choice of hope.


Decades later, a mom of five sits at her computer pondering just what that decision means.

I am the result of her choice, her sacrifice, her hope of a better life for a daughter.

Her decision that day has already impacted generations.

Please continue reading a small excerpt of my adoption story over at (in)courage.



24 comments:

Rachel R. said...

How wonderful of your birth mother to offer such a gift, not only to you and to your family, but to all of us, as well! We truly never know how far ripples of our actions reach, do we?

Hallee said...

That was an amazing article and brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Beautiful story!

susan said...

I came here looking for something entirely different and left feeling uplifted and thankful. You are blessed to have had 3 people who loved you unconditionally and wanted the best for you. Thank you for your testimony.

Carolina Mama said...

How beautiful! Thank you for sharing. God is amn amazing God. Hugs!

Runner Mom said...

Jen, your story so resonates in my heart. Your thoughts are mine...just a few years different. I,too,am that adopted child who loves my forever family and am so thankful to the 20 year old who gave me up for adoption as an infant. Thank you so much for your words this morning.
Much love!
Susan

Beth said...

Jen, Thanks. Not a day goes by that I don't look at my daughter and know that I have been given the most precious gift. I pray that as she grows that she too will understand the depth of that gift.

The Happy Housewife said...

NO WAY!!! I am adopted too! I was born 3 weeks before the Roe v Wade decision. God Bless birthmothers, and their sacrifice!
Toni

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Amazing story! Thank you for sharing.

Mary Ellen said...

I'm also adopted. I do know my birth mother (as I was adopted within her family). But I do not know my birth father or any of the circumstances surrounding my birth. Like you, I do not feel lacking. And I'm pretty much content in not knowing, possibly never knowing all the answers.

My birth mother made a brave choice. One that I'm forever thankful for. Thank you for sharing your story.

Blessings,

Mary Ellen

Katidids said...

Thank you both for the Honor of sharing your stories. The untold hearts you have just blessed!

Lisa said...

What a beautiful story!

Nadir @ Hodgepodge said...

What a beautiful story!

Stephanie said...

Jen,
I can't believe I never knew you were adopted. Our son is adopted and I think each and every adopted child and their family has a miraculous story. It amazes me how God brings families together!

dawn said...

My mom was 20, unmarried and in college. She made the same choice, but married my dad and they are still married 43 years later! I am the result of their choices as well. Thanking God with you!

Donnetta said...

What great story to start my morning. I also was born to a 17 year old before there were legal "options". I've always had an overwhelming peace about my adoption and a strong belief that God is in control. I've thought about her over the years and especially during my very difficult pregnancies. Now I can truly appreciate what a sacrifice it was.

Anonymous said...

Adoption stories always seem most beautiful when God is in them.

As a birthmother, I have found myself the impromptu surrogate birthmother to many adoptees who just want to know "why?". My daughter did not have to ask that question because her parents chose to have an open adoption. I have been immeasurably blessed through that.

I blogged my adoption story earlier this year. And I am currently editing a guest post from my daughter who is recounting our recent extended family vacation.

God is more than amazing!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

So SO happy your mom chose to give you life. :) Imagine what the world would be like without you!!! You bring so much hope and encouragement to others...God definitely had a plan for you, missy! ;)

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your story!

Katie said...

beautiful post Jen.
just found this
http://www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=4c46d3acde1dd3165f8c

thanks for sharing your story

Courtneys Homemade said...

Jen, that is a wonderful testimony for adoption! I am encouraged, as a woman who will only have children via adoption. Thanks for sharing.

Wendy said...

Wow, thanks for sharing. You echo much of my own heart as I am adopted too. How great is our God!

Unknown said...

Jen,

You took my breath away with your story. Thanks so much for sharing. You are such a tribute to the love in which you were raised.

Cynthia

Suz said...

Wow! What a wonderful inspiration to anyone pregnant and not knowing what to do... I encourage you to continue sharing so others can have the same result... life!