Friday, October 2, 2009

Frugal Fashionista - one stop shopping

Frugal Fashionista is back, and ready to roll.

(If you're new to this series, begin at the beginning by unpacking your reservations on a Frugal Fashionista wardrobe. )
I heard your cries, I received your emails, and trust me, it's not for lack of clothes to show you.

I just thought you might have wanted a break from my frugal fashion trips, but obviously not.
Always forgetting to take pictures when I was wearing the outfits was the problem that I encountered in doing these posts.

Oh yes, and then there were the dogs...

Photobucket

And the kids...
Photobucket

Enough excuses...on to what you've been waiting for.

I am doing a two part post for this one.
I have decided to take you through a typical thrift store outing and show you what I look for.
Everything I am wearing in these pictures was from one shopping trip last week.
My goal of this post is different. It's not to put together my cutest ever outfits, but to show you how you can mix and match while spending pennies on the dollar.

As you are reading, try and guess how much I paid for it all.
You are going to drop to the floor!
I approach my wardrobe much like I do my couponing and stockpiling.
Many local thrift stores offer discounts on certain days.
On Sunday at my local store, one colored ticket is always 75% off.
Keep that in mind as you guess. I only looked at that color.

Photobucket

With winter right around the corner, I love to look for new sweaters, turtlenecks and comfy clothes that I can wear to football practices. I need to be warm, but I don't have to look frumpy.
This Banana Republic sweater is perfect, and can easily be dressed up with a scarf or jacket. These Limited jeans are a bit too short for me, but you'd never know it once I rolled them up and made them capris. Now they fit perfectly and they look like they were made to be capris.
If you have great ankles - show them off. :)

Photobucket

A classic green Gap turtleneck will give me so many options.
Here I paired it with the comfiest, down vest by Lands End.
Yes, it looks brand new. Another sign that Lands End is total quality.

The Anne Taylor brown pants were a steal, and hopefully after I wear them they'll stretch out a bit. ( I didn't try them on, and typically I do.)
The only other option is to lose the eight pounds I've gained in the last few months - ugh.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Here is the same turtleneck and pants paired with two jackets that were UNDER one dollar.
Do you see how different all three outfits look just by switching them up a bit?
Our NC fall days don't always necessitate a heavy coat, so these are perfect.
Jackets like this are a typical find at most thrift stores.

One of my favorite finds of the day was this great black dress. If you've followed this series at all, you know I have a thing for the perfect, little black dress. I have about ten of them.
Please.no.lectures. Just being honest. But, I wear them - a lot.
When something like this is so comfortable that you can sleep in it, I buy it...regardless.
And this is one of those finds. I wish you could see my drop down pink necklace more closely.
It's perfect with the V-neck, but if someone gave me a big chunky pink necklace, I think I'd prefer that instead.
It would make more of a statement and bring out the pink accents.
This style looks great on almost any body shape.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love, love, love this classic Eddie Bauer turtleneck. I'm so disappointed that we didn't get a better picture of it.
Like Lands End, Eddie Bauer quality is so fabulous that it always appears new, while the look never goes out of style.
Now, I admit, this orange vest was an impulse buy...
I am a "summer," and "summer" skin tones don't wear orange. (Regardless if you buy thrift or new, you must find out your skin tone.)
But it's fall harvest time, and I want to be festive.
Yet more importantly, this was a BRAND NEW suede vest with the $69.00 price tag still on it and I got it for $1.50. I'm just saying.
As long as that orange isn't against my face, I'm fine with it.
I'll wear it to the pumpkin patch and take my pictures with fall orange pride, and them probably pass it on to someone else. It's cuter in real life. :)

Photobucket

Yes, this was taken moments ago as I just got back from football practice and was sporting my cute Hanes hoodie and Liz Claiborne tank.
If I dress to exercise, it sometimes gives me the false sense that I might actually walk during my boys' practice. :) Exercise clothing is expensive, but I find fabulous items for pennies. Probably because people like me fizzle out on their New Year's Resolution quicker than they'd care to admit.

Now imagine that I didn't just get back from football practice, and that my hair was done in a sleek updo.
Oh, how I love this white dress from The Limited.
Simple, elegant and classic.
Again, comfort is key and this one passes the "nightgown" test as well. Can you see why I have started wearing dresses more? Seriously, this dress is more comfortable than any pair of pants I own. Don't be surprised if it doesn't end up as a night gown after I get tired of it.
When you spend $1 on something, who says it has to be an elegant dress? Why can't it be a nightgown...hee hee.
Photobucket

Ok, so that was all purchased in one shopping trip.
Remember, it doesn't always happen like that, but I am fairly consistent in popping into my favorite stores and I have it down to such a science that I could dress almost any of you in a complete wardrobe for under $100.

Come with me next time as I show you how I look through the trash and come out with the treasures.

Did you take a guess at how much all of this cost? Remember that I ONLY looked at the colored tags that were marked 75% off, and the majority of the other items in the store were full price.
I am going to duck now because I know you are going to throw tomatoes at me.

All of it...under $12.
I know...it's not fair, but just love me anyhow. :)

61 comments:

kristi_temple said...

I always love, love, love your outfits. I especially liked the jeans turned capris.

I always buy clothes for my hubby at RPGW. I have gotten him good brand slacks for work with the original store tags still on them many times. It is amazing what people donate. Recently, I spent $23 at RPGW and got a leather baseball mitt for my son, 5 pairs of designer label men's slacks (2 with store tags), a liz claiborne black skirt, a tan corduroy jacket and a pretty crocheted afghan for the family room. I think I like the hunt a little too much.

Be blessed today!

Maranda said...

Wow what a bargain!

You said "...I could dress almost any of you in a complete wardrobe for under $100." I wish you would do that for me. Im such a schlub when it comes to fashion. My problem is knowing what actually looks good on my size as Im a size 20 (read: extra large). Thanks for your fashion posts. Its encouraging to know that you really can find great pieces of clothing for next to nothing. :)

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

You are KIDding. NO way. I am so jealous!!

Okay, so a couple of weeks ago I bought my first marked down piece of meat because of you. I might have to hit Goodwill on Sunday. I have $7 of fun money left this month. Let's see if I can create an outfit!

A. M. Newsom said...

I am guessing you may have found these at Carolina Thrift?

You are making me have WITHDRAWALS! I have got to go on a Monday and get my fix for 1/2 price:)

I need some new used "duds" since Nester inspired me to give away HALF my closet!

Great finds!!!

Patricia said...

WOW... you are AMAZING!
I love all the looks and especially love the price!
WTG!

Bamawhitney said...

Awesome as always!!!!

Natalie H. said...

consider yourself tomato'd. awesome shopping! you're gorgeous and I love that your kids (and dogs) shadow you in love.

Terri said...

Totally awesome, Jen. You are soooooo inspiring! And at that price, if you have to have anything altered, it is so totally worth it. What fun! Blessings!

Danielle said...

WhoooHooo! I guessed about $10!! That's awesome, Jen! Seriously. I wish I could clothes like that! My problem, and I think I've said it before on here, is I'm 6' and plus size. That isn't the best combo to find clothes at yard sales and thrifts. One of these days when I get the weight down, maybe then. *sigh* Until then, I will live through you.;-)

Anonymous said...

I love these articles they are truly inspiring. Unfortunately I am a plus size girl and I rarely see anything on the racks, maybe big girls hang onto their clothes alot longer, cause I know there are alot of us out there, havent figured it out. I have been inspired to do more garage sale and GW shopping and for that I am grateful! Sue

Anonymous said...

PS. I love that orange vest on you! LOL
i just read the other comments, and it sounds like I am not alone with the plus size problem, hmm, we will be waiting for your advice!

Christi said...

Jen, you are awesome!! I love all the outfits, but the orange vest is my fave. So cute!

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love puffy vests for the FALL!
They are perfect.

sandy toe

Gretchen said...

Wow. wow. wow.
I really want that black/navy little jacket. Love the stitching. You're amazing!

Sherri said...

How fast can you get to Georgia?! LOL I have several consignment shops PACKED out ...but have a hard time finding a lot of 'good' items. You ALWAYS put together the CUTEST outfits that I adore. So I've heard Atlanta has some high end thrift stores...I'm an hour from there. Dontcha wanna come do a girlie trip? LOL FANTASTIC Frugal Fashionista!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Fabulous!!! :) I think you look cute in that orange vest. I have to agree with you on the idea that you don't have to look all frumpy just b/c you're going to football practice. Heaven knows I have my share of frumpy moments, but I DO like to make an effort when I can. :) So excited to see Frugal Fashionista back! :)

Nadir @ Hodgepodge said...

Oh my!!! I can't believe you got all of that for under $12! My goodness that's just fantastic & inspiring me to do some thrifting of my own. Blessings!

The Monroes said...

That's awesome....only $12!! I love to go shopping at thrift stores. It's my favorite. Even my 3 boys (9, 5 & 2) love it too.
Thanks for the post. Keep them coming because we love them.

Hoosier Homemade said...

WOW! That is just awesome Jen!
I'm on the hunt for some new clothes for Fall & Winter, I will be hitting the Goodwill soon.
Thanks for the inspiration!
~Liz

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Ok, sweet ladies -
I think you're putting me up to the test. Plus size Frugal Fashionista post will be coming...dont' know when, but it will because remember, I was plus size as well.

Balancing Beauty and Bedlam

Amy @ Finer Things said...

I'm thinking it would be worth the price of a plane ticket from KS to NC to have you shop for me. I'll be there next weekend. :)

Building Dave said...

Very inspiring!!

(and it makes me even more determined to lose weight! I agree with the others, its harder to find plus sizes, now that I have dropped a size its getting easier...can't wait till it gets even easier to find steals!)

Keep those posts coming!!

Unknown said...

Oh my girl, you are a fashionista of the finest kind. Love all your finds. And the pom-poms in the background...haha.

Madison Sanders said...

Yes, you can find great stuff if you're looking for it. A lady that my mom works for gives away lots of BRAND NEW clothes (with the tags) to our local goodwill. The best part is that my mom gets to looks through it first. :)

Rhonda said...

Love your outfits. This is how I dress my family (thrifting and Goodwill) and I find it very addictive! It is amazing what can be found and the prices are awesome. You did great on this outing, for sure!! Thank you for sharing your finds.

Gina said...

It would be worth the plane ticket to have you redo me for $100. It would still be a steal. And I need a redo- badly!!!

Lynn said...

I love your finds. Great job.I love the jeans into capri idea. I am going to have to try that one. I am curious what your height is? I am 5 foot 10 inches. I have found it hard to find used clothes because I am so tall. I have found a few things, but rarely. I have to have a tall pant and most of the time my long sleeves have to be tall shirts because my arms are so long. I am curious if you find mens clothes at such good deals. Again this is a diffucult area for me b/c my husband in 6 foot 5 inches, so I never find his size used. I think being an average size helps in finding more deals. I am curious if others have the same problem I do.

Anonymous said...

Jen, Thanks for sharing! Love these posts! The orange vest is my favorite, and the little black dress is beautiful on you, oh and the jeans are great...you get the idea :) Nice job! ~C

Jen @ After The Alter said...

Wow! What Great finds!! I am amazed that all of that came from a thrift store and it was all under $12!! I have to start looking into that..wow.

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

You serisouly rock it, Jenn! Utterly Amazing! I with everyone else..the plane ticket would SO be worth you re-doing my wardrobe. You may just be bombarded with company! :)

Lynn--I have the same problem as you. I rarely find good thrift store deals. I am 5'11", with a 32 inseam (short for as tall as I am), but I have a mile-long torso. The jeans are short, and the shirts are shorter..I look like I'm wearing my 7yo's hand me downs! In conjuction with all that, I'm not an average size.

Would love your extra help, Jenn!

Rachel R. said...

"I'm thinking it would be worth the price of a plane ticket from KS to NC to have you shop for me."

Man, you're not kidding! Nearly all of my clothes come from thrift stores, and yet I can't imagine even finding that many garments in one trip that are my size and not totally trampy, much less all on sale. I'm amazed!

Denise said...

There is not one thing in my thrift store (clothes) that is $1.50! I know, I've looked. Most things are priced above $5, and once when I saw a rail of 'designer clothes' it seemed they had deliberately priced them even higher and the cheapest thing on the rail (an Ann Taylor blouse) was $9! :-(
I love to see what you buy and I wish I could visit your thrift store. You still inspire me to keep looking in mine,who knows, one day...... I might just get lucky!

Mary Ellen said...

Wow! $12 - shut the front door! You did awesome! All the pieces look great, but I love, love the black dress.

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration! I found deals at our thrift store once in a great while. I think I need to take a trip to a big city and check out their thrift stores!

Jessie Weaver said...

I might come to NC if you thought you could get me a wardrobe for under $100!! Amazing.

I've had my Frugal Fashionista carnival post composed in my head for weeks! Me and baby both have fantastic finds to share. Please host it again soon!

the undomesticated wife said...

I love your frugal fashionista posts! I love that puffy blue fall/winter vest. That's just too cute!

I found some huge scores this week too, but not as good as yours! I got several fall/winter tops for .99 each, a cute crochet shrug for $3 and some other things that I just can't remember off the top of my head.

the undomesticated wife said...

Oh, I saw a J. Crew brown suede skirt for $4 at GW, but it wasn't my size. Someone's going to get lucky with that one!

Laura said...

Okay, that's it. Goodwill for me. Starting next week!
Thanks for the inspiration!!!
You rock!
((Hugs))
Laura

Playing Sublimely said...

Okay, I am convinced, I am going shopping your way tomorrow...loving reading along with you Jen :)!

Wendy said...

I won't throw anything at you, cause I do it too! I have a problem buying a $30.00 pair of blue jeans when I can get a great pair at the thrift store for $2.00. Great finds!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE those down vests, but me being a plus sized girl don't need more bulk! :)

Looks great on you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for another FF post! Your outfits are amazing and your prices are just unbelievable!

Bonnie said...

Jen you never cease to amaze me! Is there anything you are not beyond good at doing? I think not. Love youand all your talents!

Richella Parham said...

Good for you! I do love you anyhow!!

And I want to tell you that my husband came up as I was reading your blog, pointed to your picture, and said, "Who's that?" I replied, "That's my friend Jen." And he said, "She's really pretty."

Just thought you might want to know that!

Moms In Need Of Mercy said...

oh fun! Inspired by you, I stopped by our local thrift store that supports the Christian rescue mission for the homeless (we don't have a Goodwill). I found some pretty skirts and tops, including a Horny Toad fleece...all for
$15/bag! I splurged on a leather jacket (blazer style) for 9.50...kinda pricey but very classy and timeless. Thanks for encouraging us that just because we're at home moms, doesn't mean we have to be frumpy! We can be fashionable and frugal too :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

You know I love ya, girlfriend, since we are on the same page! I just might have to do more thrifty posts on clothes myself, cause I just keep adding more & more great things to my closet. Great shopping!

Hey, those cute pink slides I just found would work with your pink & black dress too. :)

Jenny said...

OMGoodness! 12.00??? You are my hero!!!

Heather said...

I love the outfits! I also do the same thing to jeans that fit me right, but aren't quite long enough. I can't wait to see the next post in this two parter.

You should have a Mr. Linky sometime-I could totally do a fashion show for you...or maybe I will. Frugal Fashionista Inspired!

Angela W. said...

So glad to see more frugal fashionista! You have inspired me and I've found some amazing deals this past few months at garage sales and GW. But, seriously, $12 for all that??? You are amazing!

Free Art Printables said...

Love the black dress. You look like a supermodel!

Ginger said...

Wow! You inspire me!
I thought of you when I picked up an Ralph Lauren sweater for $2 last week. I felt like a true "frugal fashionista"!
Ginger

Theresa said...

$12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be lucky to find a t-shirt for that price. I seriously need to check out the thrift stores near me more often. although they do not have 75% off days ever!! I love all your outfits. You could get into the outfit building business, you would be amazing at it.

Rosie said...

Excellent job! I can never pass up a nice ribbed GAP turtleneck!The white "nightgown" is gorgeous.
rosie

savvycityfarmer said...

it looks as though me and all of blogland love this post idea ... you are a natural in fron of the camera ...please keep it coming ...you wear it well!!

missn our chats

Manda said...

Thanks for the great post. I have been getting some great things at my local thrift stores as well. After this post, I was inspired and got an Abercrombie puffy vest for a few dollars.

Now I have a question. How do you get rid of that 'thrift store' smell in fabrics. Usually washing takes care of it, but I have a cute jacket and a few sweaters that I can't get the smell out of. I even had the jacket dry cleaned and it is still there. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sandy @ The Scoop on Balance said...

Insane. I've got nothing else to say.

Sandy

flowerpot said...

I get so many compliments now that I am shopping at Goodwill. I only buy expensive clothes and get them so cheap!

Erik said...

I love your blog! Just found it recently. I shop the thrift stores and garage sales for my kiddos too....save so much, especially when it gets ripped or stained so soon! But I have to say, I think you would look good in anything! Can you show us some models in other sizes? I'd like to see what you think looks good on a short person!

Miss G said...

wowie kadowie!!! That's great!!! Hey and wear the orange with pride! It looks great. Kelly

Nishant said...

I always buy clothes for my hubby at RPGW. I have gotten him good brand slacks for work with the original store tags still on them many times.
Work From Home

Ruth J Leamy said...

Incredible!